Thursday, October 11, 2007

Understanding Bubble Gum

I apologize for the delay in writing. I am still around, my guts are still angry and still have lots of complaining to do.
So the other day I came across a box of Wrigley's Extra Citrus Squeeze. It caught my eye because of the packaging. The bubble gum market is obviously a very old one. In order to keep the excitement going and the sales from dropping too too much, companies need to constantly develop new ideas. This can mean new flavors, new colors, new packaging or new endorsements by superstars. Anything goes, as long as it helps the sales increase.
The Wrigley Company was founded in 1891 and it only had two products: Juicy Fruit and Wrigley's Spearmint. Today, the company is in more than 180 countries and it is constantly branching out to new areas by acquiring other smaller players in the candy industry. The brand "Extra" is one of many in their portfolio and it recently launched a new set of flavors that come packaged in small carton box with 14 pieces of gum.
Extra Citrus Squeeze comes wrapped in the same thin transparent plastic wrapping that CDs have. So the first challenge to get to your gum is to find a way to open the package. It is the same issue as with CDs, only with the added urgency to chew. It is hard to open but you'll get there. Once you open the package, you will find 14 individual gums neatly wrapped in paper. Like soldiers lined up in front of their sergeant, two lines and no one is moving. That is the next problem: no one moves. Why? Because all the gum is stuck to the bottom of the package.
My patience was gone and I decided that some inexpensive Mexican force (yes, I am Mexican and I love making Mexican jokes) was required and I ripped one of the gums off. Two other pieces came out along with some white cardboard from the bottom of the package. Out of my post traumatic consumer rage, I ate the whole three pieces of gum. The taste? It lasted about two minutes and then it disappeared. I actually spent longer opening the box than eating the damn gum, three pieces at once. This consumer innovation is brilliant, make your consumer angry so he or she eats more!
So here is a photo of a similar package but for a different product. Have a great evening.


No comments: