Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The "hole in my pant" theory


I have been working like a madman this past week because I have an exam tomorrow and some assignments that are due this week. The advancement of my professional career is keeping me away from the products I love to review.
The other day I had trouble remembering a theory about the "Adoption process" for new products. This is about how people choose to become regular users of a product. I was studying and I could not remember the damn set of steps. All of the sudden, I realized I had a hole in my pants. There it was, giving the pair of grey jogging pants some ventilation slightly below the zipper area. That is how the "hole in my pant" Theory was born.
The Adoption process for new products consists of 5 steps: Realization of Need, Information Seeking, Evaluation, Purchase and Post-Purchase behaviors.
As I was sitting on my chair, bearded and stressed, I realized that I had a hole in my pants and that these pants were getting old. I REALIZED that I needed new pants (Step 1)
After so much studying, I have become the champion procrastinator of the neighborhood. Therefore, I decided to go online and research Abercrombie and Hollister pants as potential replacements. I was SEEKING INFORMATION (Step 2) and PROCRASTINATING (not a necessary step)
After reading about the pants, I evaluated my options. I could fix my old pants, buy a pair of nice and sharp looking Abercrombie pants (Excuse me! Does it come with the six pack in the picture?) or settle for the decent and still very stylish, but cheaper Hollister pants. I am EVALUATING my options (Step 3) But really, I know I will not buy new pants. I am el cheapo after all.
This is where my theory reached the realm of fiction. This is the step where I would actually go and buy something. But I really will not. I will settle for the fictional pair of Abercrombies and matching six pack; I pretend to PURCHASE something (Step 4)
On the last step on the "hole in my pant" Theory, I hesitate with my fictional pair of pants. I am not sure if it was the best decision. Perhaps I should have gone for the Hollister pants and save the extra money. This is called "POST PURCHASE BEHAVIOR" or buyer's remorse (Step 5). After struggling with my decision, I decide it is best to return the fictional Abercrombie pants. All of the sudden, I am back on my chair, bearded, with a hole in my pants and even a little more stressed because I just wasted 30 min writing about fictional Abercrombie pants and matching six packs.
Wish me luck tomorrow!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a little man, and I'm also evil, also into cats also into cats.

Unknown said...

I'm a little man, and I'm also evil, also into cats also into cats.